This recipe is one of my favourites because it requires little skill and little cooking and it packs lots of flavour.
It’s my cheats version of cannelloni because I’m using jar sauce today (this is not a sponsored blog post nor is it a collab, I simply like this brand and am happy with the ingredients so am sharing it with you today).
1kilo fresh ricotta cheese full fat
100 grams Parmesan cheese (1 packet if you buy from the shelves)
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 x 500’gram packets frozen spinach (defrosted)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 jars 400 g barilla Napoletana sauce (or use whatever you like as long as quantity is correct)
600ml full fat thickened cream
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 packet fresh lasagna sheets (I used Latina but if you like another brand ensure the sheets are the same size or you may need 2 packets)
My method is divided into 4 parts
Step 1 the spinach
1) add oil, butter and chopped onion to a pot and cook on a low simmer until the onion is transparent. Add garlic and cook off until cooked.
2) add spinach and salt and pepper and mix well. It will give off a little liquid but you will cook this off on low until most of the liquid is absorbed.
3) taste for salt and pepper and add if needed. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool right down before mixing with ricotta.
Step 2) the ricotta
1) place ricotta, 2 eggs, Parmesan and salt and pepper to a large bowl. Mix really well and place in the fridge to sit until the spinach has cooled down.
2) once spinach is cool mix well with ricotta mix
Step 3 the sauce
1) grab a large mixing bowl and a ladle. Add 4 jars of barilla (or sauce of your choice) to the bowl and mix well with the cream. Set aside
Step 4 constructing the cannelloni
1) open the packet of lasagna sheets. The Latina ones are quite large so I cut them in half to give 16 squarish shaped pasta sheets. If you are using another brand just check the size as you may need to buy 2 packets for this recipe but I found one to be enough with the Latina packet. See image for what it looks like.
2) place one lasagna sheet down and put two heaped tablespoons of ricotta and spinach mixture toward the end and make it into a long sausage shape that goes the length of the pasta sheet (see image above)
3) grab a baking dish and ladle some sauce into the Bottom so it’s enough to wet the cannelloni about half way
4) roll your pasta up into a sausage cannelloni shale and place this into the sauce (see image above)
5) continue to roll cannelloni until baking dish is full
6) top with more cheese and some mozzarella sauce and bake in a preheated oven 200degrees for approx 35/40 minutes or until cheese is melted and gooey
7) serve topped with some parsley or basil and with your favourite side salad.
Note this recipe makes 16 cannelloni some some for dinner and some for the freezer so dinner is done next time